Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Greek Rice Salad


I love salad and in the summer when the house is hot I like to make a salad the main dish for dinner. This is the one I really like. I usually add whatever other veggies I have on hand, like green peppers, cucumbers or even carrots. My kids really like rice but are not so fond of salad dressing so I usually take some rice out before I add the dressing so that they will eat it better.


Greek Rice Salad
Source: USA Rice Federation. For more good-tasting rice recipes, go to www.usarice.com

Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings

3 cups cooked medium grain brown rice

1 cup red grape tomatoes; sliced in half

1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives, sliced

1/4 cup Feta vinaigrette dressing

Salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste

Romaine leaves

Combine rice, tomato halves, olives and vinaigrette in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with whole Romaine leaves, which can be used like taco shells to hold filling. Alternatively, arrange Romaine leaves on a platter and place rice mixture on top of greens. Chill.

For an Italian Rice Salad, you might try substituting an Italian oil/vinegar-type dressing and green olives for the Feta vinaigrette dressing and the Kalamata olives.

No comments: