Saturday, July 26, 2008

Big Shells with Basil-Cheese Filling


When it's hot, we like to eat cool, light suppers. But I get tired of salads pretty fast. I stumbled on this unbaked cheese filling in a grilled eggplant recipe a few years ago. While, the egg plant didn't do much for me, I really liked the filling, since then we have used it as to stuff big shells. (I think they are officially called "jumbo shells".) The fresh basil in this really makes it, so I wouldn't recommend trying it with dried.

Big Shells with Basil-Cheese Filling


1/2 package of big shell pasta (about 20 shells), cooked and cooled (a wire rack works well)

12 1/2 oz. (1 1/2 cups) cottage cheese (or ricotta)
1 1/2 oz. (1/2 cup) Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 Tbsp Basil, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 oz mozzarella (optional)

Cook and cool the shells. A wire rack works well. Stir together the filling ingredients. Fill the shells with the filling. Serve with tomato sauce.

No comments: