Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Paradise Cafe Fire Roasted Tomato Soup

My car broke down while I was in Salt Lake and my wonderful parents picked me and the kids up, so we could have the car towed to Grants (what other mechanic would you possibly go to?) on the way home we stopped at the paradise cafe in bountiful. My mom had this soup, and let me try it. Needles to say it was AMAZING. So if found this recipe, and it is darn good.
Just a note I have made this with out the fire roasted tomatoes and it was still pretty amazing and you probably have all the the ingredients on hand. I hope you like it.

Fire Roasted Tomato Soup.

l large onion, diced

6 cloves garlic, minced (or use 1/4 tsp dried minced for each clove)

olive oil

2 - 28 to 32 oz cans tomatoes (I used “ready-cut” to keep it simple)

32 oz bottle fire roasted (or sun-dried) tomatoes (Costco has them for the most reasonable price in larger quantities)

2 - 8 oz cans tomato sauce

2 - 6 oz cans tomato paste

8 cups water (I added 8 - 10 chicken bouillon cubes for more flavor)

2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

2 cups milk or cream (more if you like a thinner soup)


In a large soup kettle saute onion in olive oil until almost translucent. Add garlic and continue to saute a few minutes more. Add tomatoes, sauce and paste - along with water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes. Puree in blender until desired consistency.

1 comment:

Grandma Favorite said...

Thanks Heather. I was looking for this recipe.